Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Dementia (PDF, 1.5MB)
It's Your Practice (PDF, 1.7MB)
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

Other Information

Medical Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may, however, require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or via

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information visit (where this information was sourced)

Non-NHS Work

We do not have private patients. However, in addition to the care that the doctors give under the National Health Service, they are often asked to provide other services for which a separate charge is made. These include private medical certificates, various medical examinations and reports for employers, solicitors, insurance companies, driving medicals. Please check with the receptionist for the current fee.


There is a chiropody department located upstairs in Ferndown Medical Centre. Initial referral is required from a health care professional. Access is via the stairs or lift, situated through the double doors, adjacent to the front door of the medical centre. Appointments can be made by phoning 01202 443737.

Social Services

The social services department is situated next to the library in Ferndown town centre. The duty officer can be contacted on 01202 877445 on weekdays and, in case of emergency, a social worker can be contacted on 01202 675180 out of normal working hours. Social services can help with home care, meals on wheels, arrangement of residential care for the elderly, services for the disabled and day centre provision. They can advise about disabled driver badges, attendance allowances, child care, fostering and adoption and they can provide counselling help for a wide range of problems, including family and marital problems.

Senior Patients' Named GP

All NHS practices are required to provide their patients aged 75 and over with a named GP who will have overall responsibility for the care and support that the surgery provides to them. Your named GP will have overall responsibility for your care but it does not prevent or restrict you from seeing any other GP or nurse in the practice. If you are aged 75 or over you will have received a letter informing you who your named GP is.

What Do I Do If Someone Dies?

Although this is a time of sorrow and grief, a number of matters have to be dealt with. We hope that the following information will be of help and guide you through a few difficult days, when certain formalities must be attended to.

If someone dies, call a doctor. There is no need to move the patient. It is a legal requirement for a doctor to confirm that someone has died. If the doctor has recently seen the patient, a death certificate can normally be issued.

In the case of an unexpected death, the doctor will need to notify the Coroner who will then advise as to further arrangements.

In the event of a bereavement the doctors and health visitors are anxious to offer any support you need. In addition, the surgery has contact numbers of organisations who can offer help, advice or support.

Local Services. Ready to Help You
Need advice on your pension? Want to avoid unwanted tax implications? Contact a local financial adviser today
Head & Wheble Monumental Masons